Cycle with scenes from the Odyssey, Fresco, 1st cent. B.C. (before 46 B.C.)
Frame: height 142 cm, width 292 cm
Musei Vaticani, Rome
"This fresco, from the middle of the first century B.C. (before 46 B.C.), divided into eight panels and then reassembled to form four rectangular panels, was found in Rome on 7 April 1848 during the excavation of a domus in Via Graziosa, present-day Via Cavour, and donated to Pius IX on 2 January 1851.
The cycle, depicting episodes from the Odyssey books 10-12, may have adorned the upper portion of the wall of a portico. There remain eight landscapes positioned in sequence against the background of a double colonnade viewed in perspective: